Driving in cars with kids


Over the Easter holiday we are planning a short camping trip to get away from our ever growing to do list, social media and all the other modern contraptions that so easily distract and concern us. We are going out to the bush laden with books, paper for writing and drawing and pen knives for creating miniature boats and rafts to float in the river. We will cook over a fire, sleep in a tent and not make any  more plans than that. We will chat and play games, reconnecting while taking deep breaths of tranquil air to relax our bodies and refresh our souls.

However, to get to this longed-for oasis, we must first have a car journey laden with all the things we will need and with 2 boys inside!

As a child, I have distinct memories of car journeys especially driving down to the South of France with a laden car where we would each be provided with a blow-up neck pillow (I loved my blue Mickey Mouse one) and the car would be well stocked with audio books on tape. Our long suffering parents also had a tape called silly songs, the soundtrack to Joseph (we knew all the words, sang them loudly and I still think I pull off a mean version of ‘Pharoh’s dream’!) and a book entitled ‘songs for car journeys’.

I love a good road trip, however there can certainly be downsides when travelling, especially if you have children who are not as appreciative of the rolling scenery! Here are my top tips for travelling in cars with kids covering illness, comfort and a range of ideas for keeping the children entertained.

Travel sickness
It is an unfortunate ailment that affects a large number of children (and adults) and can make a fun journery much less pleasant for all involved. My biggest tip is to keep the sickness-prone person cool whether by fanning, winding down windows,  taking off jumpers, applying a cold compress, or putting the air con on full blast. It seems that cold children are less likely to be sick than warm ones, though it is also good to be prepared. I always have baby wipes and kitchen towel to hand and either a selection of ice cream tubs with lids and a few pieces of kitchen towel in each (if used, simply put the lid on and deposit in the nearest bin) or having a series of small bags filled with cat litter to absorb both the liquid and the aroma! I once worked with a colleague who swore that getting a travel-sick child to sit on newspaper prevented them feeling ill!

Comfort
Though at home the teddies are mainly kept to the bedroom, when we are going on long car journeys we have them in the car to be snuggled up with. We also have a selection of blankets which can be used as coverings or scrunched up as pillows.  

For secret Santa this year, by husband got a small cool box that is just perfect to sit between the 2 front seats and keeps our ‘treat’ drinks cool (Appletiser is my beverage of choice) though we also each have half iced bottles of water. And of course, enough snacks to keep the ravenous beasts 


happy!


Keeping the children entertained

Where's Wally? Still a fantastic
book for engaging children. 


However, aside from coping with illness, one of the biggest things is how to keep children entertained in the car. DVD players are a great attention-absorber and will help the time to fly by however there are other alternatives for a digital detox – particularly if your car, like mine, is not quite modern enough for a DVD player!

Watching the world go by. It is amazing how much there actually is to see as we drive along. My sons have spotted Dassies jumping over rocks, a procession of calves with accompanying ox peckers and a boy collecting water from a pond all of which led to conversations and my attempt at answering the inevitable ‘why’ questions!

What can you see in the clouds?
Shapes in the clouds I have always loved watching clouds but my 5 year old has recently re-awoken in me the ability to see pictures in the clouds and how they really can become dragons, bunnies and castles if you give yourself a moment to see them.

The alphabet game: Choose a topic, take it in turns and go through the alphabet to name something from the topic for each letter. For example for animals, you could have Antelope, Bear, Cat etc. Topics can be anything though we like 

Go to Space: My sons and I frequently do this on the school run. We aren’t just driving to nursery or school, we are on a mission to Mars and as we drive we have to put on our space suits, complete the count down and marvel at the things we see passing us by be they flying cars and trees or a local family of aliens who are then fully described (the last had purple heads, 6 arms and 4 legs) and given names (the fluffbump aliens).

The things you can do with a licence plate!
Number sentences: I discovered recently that the lovely Sam likes to make the numbers on a licence plate make mathematical sense. For example 369 makes the calculation (or number sentence if you will) 3 + 6 = 9.. I love this as I do a similar thing with dates and love when they make mathematical sense or have a pattern for example 7/1/17 was a cool date last year and earlier this month 6 / 3/ 18 could make 6 x 3 = 18.
Words: However, I was surprised when Sam told me about her game that it wasn’t my first instinct when I look at licence plates. I look for words being made by the 3 last letters such as ASK, or even better a name such as BEV or KEN. I then go on to imagine that the car is driven by Bev or Ken and create characters for them – great for storing away for future writing sessions!
Alphabet game: My husband and I have always played the licence game where you each have to spot a licence plate that begins with A, then B, then C. etc. but you cannot use the same car another player has used and at least one other player must also have seen the car. Not quite so good in Bots where they all start with a B so we use the end letter instead!
Stories: Finally, with my Father we used to make up sentences to match the plates. For example, our old Volvo had the plate J159BGT and so the story was: John’s 159 Beans Grow Tall.


Books: As a child I could not read in the car without feeling sick, however my sons don’t seem to have this problem and a recent trip to Tuli was made brilliantly peaceful by having a copy of Where’s Wally in the car! I can also recommend Search and Find books and the absolutely brilliant ‘If I Could’ by Nick Sharrat and Pippa Goodhart. This has been an awesome book for waiting rooms, restaurants and journeys and makes a great present. Aunties, Grandparents, earn some brownie points and find a copy for the next birthday present, you will not be disappointed. That and anything by Richard Scarry where the brilliant detail in his pictures provides hours of entertainment.

Audio books: We love a good story cd and have listened to hours of Julia Donaldson stories, Roald Dahl books and The Wind in the Willows (my personal favourite) on our journeys. My children listen as they watch the world go by, and I have really enjoyed revisiting some of the Dahl books I haven’t read since I was small.  However, we have recently discovered the wonder of podcasts which you can download ready for your journey!

Podcasts: My boys both love ‘Wow in the World’ which is a science pod cast where ideas are explained with humour. ‘Storynory’ which has a range of different stories and ‘Brains On’ which is another science podcast. I recently discovered this great list detailing far more than we have listened to http://sayyes.com/2018/03/26-podcasts-kids.html I am looking forward to trying  ‘Peace Out’ which is a mindfulness podcast, ‘5 minutes with Dad’ which is 2 children having a short chat with their Dad about different topics and ‘Classical Classroom’ which explores different classical composers.  

I also have some personal favourites for if the children have fallen asleep. Anyone talking to us about podcasts before will have heard us recommend ‘Cumberbin’s Treasure’ which is the highly amusing BBC Cabin Pressure series starring Benedict Cumberbatch about a very small airline and the troubles they face keeping their business going. This is one that would be fine for children’s ears too, they just may not find it quite as entertaining!

I recently discovered Simon Mayo’s Confessions which is also mostly suitable for family listening though they will give a warning if anything is going to come up that is unsuitable. People write in with their confessions and ask if they should be forgiven by the team. For those looking to spend the journey learning something new I can really recommend the 'TED Talks Daily'

If you are travelling over the Easter weekend we wish you safe journeys and hope you have wonderful adventures. We shall be closing the Honeycomb Hub for Good Friday and Easter Saturday but will be open again from Bank holiday Monday 2nd April,  and will then be open all day on a Saturday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is The Honeycomb Hub?

Pula

Galvanise