Traditionally Speaking

Our tree is wonky and laden with more
decorations than branches but was decorated
with a lot of heart!
I am really looking forward to our first African Christmas, even if it does feel as though it has arrived here all of a sudden and I am not sure we are totally ready! It has also been a very different December to the ones I grew up with – for a starter the temperatures are topping 35° and so snow is even more unlikely than back home, though I actually preferred a crisp, clear frosty morning for the walk to Church on Christmas Day. 

I grew up with choir practises preparing for the candlelit nine lessons and carols, nativity plays, pantomimes, advent calendars and carol singing around the village. We would wrap up with thick socks, scarves and hats and greatly look forward to arriving at the Williamson’s house when we would all be invited in for drinks while we sang and, the best bit for a 7 year old, the ceremonial passing round of a box of Quality Street!

I love the traditional side of Christmas, the same decorations brought out each year, foods that are only eaten once a year (though personally I would not object to mince pies all year round!) and the busy planning of surprise presents and tasty meals. I have always loved Advent calendars and as children we were only ever allowed picture ones which we still opened with excitement each morning. Yet each year my parents buy our boys a chocolate one (which I absolutely do not see as double standards or proof that Grandparents ignore all the rules when it comes to Grandchildren 😉) though this is the first year that I have had to keep them in the fridge!

Eric dug out a Christmas puzzle
and started it for them to finish.
Elf on the Shelf is a tradition we started 5 years ago when we were given an Elf, we named Eric, for Big One’s first Christmas. There are many takes on Elf on the Shelf whether he is used as a tool to improve children’s behaviour as he reports back to the Big Man at the North Pole, or whether he is a naughty elf who causes havoc to be found each morning. In our house he comes to help us get ready for Christmas and each morning has found a new vantage point, quite often bringing something to help us get in the festive mood such as strips of paper for paper chains or a festive film. I have to confess that this year he has been rather tired and hasn’t always found a new vantage point each morning, as my sons have not failed to notice!



Though I love the different traditions we have gathered over the years, I try not to feel too pressured into keeping all of them going. For example, I grew up always having Turkey for Christmas day and used to be quite unnerved by my friend Rose who always had something different such as Duck or Goose! Now we rarely have Turkey for Christmas as we have it for Thanksgiving (one of the most awesome things about marrying an half-American)!

Also, some traditions haven’t taken hold, or are being put on hold this year. I love writing Christmas cards but this year they were one step too far for me and I only really thought about the post once it was too late to send any – an email will have to suffice.

Sadly, I don’t think I am going to get to see a pantomime this year. My brother in law saw his first one when over in England last Christmas and I ought to ask him what he thought or whether it is one tradition that doesn’t really translate as I haven't discovered one. However, watch this space at the Honeycomb Hub for next year - we have plans (and a bunch of pantomime scripts thanks to an awfully talented older sister who writes them)!

Decorating for Christmas is always such a highlight as you unearth different treasures from the Christmas box and recall where different ones were from or remember who made what at pre-school - we have no co-ordinated colour themes on our tree, we just throw it all on! My particular favourites are a row of tiny painted wooden angels, sadly half with broken wings now, that belonged to my Nanny and a set of red wooden hearts and stars that we were given our first Christmas living together when we didn’t have a tree and so decorated our yukka plant! My husband’s favourite is a canvas our youngest made at nursery with a photocopy of his face, a red pom pom for his nose and antlers made from his handprints!

Writing letters to Father Christmas is a favourite tradition and I am so proud of Big One this year for writing it all himself - someone is definitely ready for school in January. The letter is then given to Eric the Elf who hand delivers it to Father Christmas – a very efficient method of delivery. Back when we were young our method of delivery was to throw the letters on the fire. This seemed absolutely normal back in the day but looking back now, I do wonder if we ever questioned quite how Father Christmas would be able to interpret our requests from the ashes - definitely a more unusual method of delivery!

This year we have a couple of new potential traditions we are starting that I am quite looking forward to.

I am a bit of a bibliophile (or bookworm) and so was delighted to discover the Icelandic tradition Jólabókaflóðið (Jolabokaflod ) or ‘Christmas Book Flood’ where you exchange books on Christmas Eve and then spend the rest of the evening reading – perfect Hygge.

We are starting a Christmas baking day. 5 years ago, my husband’s Aunt Janice was given a huge box of handmade biscuits by her German friends. They would collect a new recipe each year but because the old ones were such favourites, they would end up making them all! I have been collecting a few different recipes and my sister, myself and the boys spent Saturday baking up a storm to sustain us through the festive week!

Finally, where do we have Christmas Day? As I only live 15 minutes from my sister, it is lovely to be able to spend Christmas Day together, however the question is at whose house? I never thought that having an outdoor swimming pool could be a consideration as to where to hold the festivities but when it is predicting 35° it should not be dismissed lightly! But we have compromised. This year sees our first Christmas safari where they come to ours for brunch and then we shall go to theirs for Christmas dinner – what an adventure!

 Now all that is left for me to wish you a very happy Christmas renewing loved traditions and maybe starting a few more of your own.


Comments

  1. hope you all have a wonderful time. Will be thinking of you. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just shows that Christmas is all about family. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and hoping that the New Year is less frantic but equally exciting and fulfilling as this one. Lots of love x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pula

What is The Honeycomb Hub?

Galvanise